Saturday, March 27, 2010

Seasonal Blocks!!!

As most of you know I love crafting and I love looking at blogs...crafty blogs! I stumbled across this blog a few weeks ago, and saw these seasonal blocks...I thought "I need to make some!!! A decoration for every holiday...literally!!!"

Here's what you need:
-10 blocks, whatever size you desire....mine are about 3.25x3.25, we got a huge piece of wood at Home Depot, and cut it to the desired size
-Paint
-Vinyl Letters, cardstock letters, or big alphabet stamps
-ink

Here's what you do:
1. Sand blocks if needed, I actually didn't because I was going for a more worn look.
2. Paint blocks, I used an acrylic paint, and I only needed one coat.
3. Once dry, sand edges, if desired! I sanded mine.
4. Ink/ distress the edges if you like that kind of look! I sure do!
5. Place letters on the blocks. Here are the letters you need for each block:
Block One: H Y E D
Block Two: A C R S
Block Three: R P E T
Block Four: V N L O
Block Five: E O M D
Block Six: S M K I
Block Seven: T F B W
Block Eight: U A G L
Block Nine: P J I H
Block Ten: F P S C
6. You are done!!!

These are the words you can make with this one set of blocks:
Harvest
Welcome
Faith
Family
Spooky
Friends
Winter
Freedom
Blessed
Snow
Home
Hope
Monster
Mother
Dream
Easter
Lucky
Love
Santa
Glory
Romance
Love
Pumpkin
Frosty
School
Autumn
Spring
Summer
Father
Fall
Happy
Merry
Fairy
Fairies
Jolly
Flowers
Wishes
America
When you are not using a block, just decorate it with some cute ribbon, and some cute nic-nacks!

6 comments:

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

I love them! I still haven't gotten my Easter blocks set up - What a slacker!! And thanks for the shout-out!!

Natalie and Ryan said...

I tried to get into the linked blog where got the idea, but it doesn't work. Why isn't it right? Could you give me that blog. They look really cute. I'm Ashley Moulton's sister-in-law.
Natalie Moulton

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

Here's the link: http://whimsikel.blogspot.com/2010/03/seasonal-decor-blocks-pt-2.html

Though I think Melinda did a much cuter job than I did...

Lanier Household Creations said...

I loved yours too! It was hard to decide on the colors!!!

Natalie said...

I have a set of these, but lost the word/letter instructions. Very cute.

Cristan said...

These are so cute. I finished a set today and am working on a set for my MIL. I linked back to you and the original post at: http://coffeecupsandcrafts.blogspot.com/2011/03/year-round-blocks-i-love-em.html?spref=fb